Old Words As New Words in Washington

Whenever you start working in a new environment, new discipline, or new setting, new words creep into your language - that is, after that hit you over the head, first. Do you know what I mean? I don't mean acronyms or words that are actually new to you, rather words that you know, but that are being used in a way that you have never encountered before.

This happened to me when I joined the social work field 10 years ago. One of the core areas of social work education is "human behavior in the social environment" (HBSE). I remember thinking, what?! What nonsense have some academics come up with now? Soon I grew to understand the meaning and intent behind HBSE courses, or what are sometimes pronounced "hib-zee" courses. The purpose is for social work to distinguish itself from the field of psychology, which focuses on the individual, and sociology, which focuses on the social environment. Social workers pride themselves for training new professionals to look at a person within the context that an individual lives, works, plays, etc.

Another term that I had never heard was the "professional use of self." It took me a long time to understand this term. In fact, I didn't know that I understood it until I found myself using it! The "professional use of self"  is the knowledge, values, and skills gained in social work school, combined with aspects of a social worker's own personal self, including personality traits, belief systems, life experiences, and cultural heritage. I like to think of it as the social worker being the tool of intervention - and that tool can be used in a variety of ways to deliver a variety of types of interventions.

When I arrived in Washington I started hearing words that I knew, but I had never heard used in these particular contexts. For example...

Portfolio: In Washington everyone refers to the work or projects which are assigned to them as their "portfolio." For example, I am working in Senator Lee's office on a climate change portfolio. When asked what is in my portfolio, I tell people that I am housed in the personal office of a senator, but I am working on a Finance Committee portfolio. This means nothing to anyone outside of Washington. The scoop is that the Finance Committee covers child welfare - so I'm working on child welfare issues. There you have it.

Space: Of course, we all know the word "space." But, it is used differently here in Washington. It refers again, to areas of expertise. If you are working in a particular area, that is your "space." For example, I'd really like to meet up with other people who are working in the same space as me.

Wheelhouse: Again - another term to discuss areas of expertise. I've heard a couple of people use this term since I arrived in Washington. I don't feel like those skills are in my wheelhouse. Or, I need to broaden what is in my wheelhouse on child welfare issues.

Bucket: I have heard this word used before to reference something other than an object that is similar to a pail, but I hear it much more in Washington. For example, We don't want to get started on that - those issues are in a different bucket. It brings to mind images of topics or issues being siloed and having no overlap with others. I would be much more inclined to say, That seems like a separate issue to me. But, here? It's buckets.

In truth, it's possible that the use of these words is not specific to Washington. They may just be used outside of New England or in urban work environments. Regardless, this New Englander is learning more new things. Still.

Comments

  1. Laura Perkins / mamaOctober 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM

    This gave me cause to pay more attention to the language being used around me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?