Anything Goes on the Marathon Course

I should probably be practicing oboe tonight. In fact, I know that I should be practicing, but I'm "wimping out." After all, today I ran a marathon. Surely, a practice session would put me over the edge. We'll see how I feel about that tomorrow night when I'm in rehearsal...

Today I ran my 11th marathon. In truth, in 2008 I also ran a 50k race, which is 31 miles, and of course, longer than a marathon. Anything longer than a marathon is called "ultra running." I think that's because you're ultra, ultra insane. But, to make things easier, I just tell people that I've run 12 marathons, because most people don't really care about the nuisances of 26 miles vs. 31 miles, etc. So, indeed, today I ran my 12th marathon at the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM).

I ran this race last year, too. I didn't as much fun last year as I did today. Last year, I went into it totally exhausted - week 8 or 9 of the semester and I had been surviving on very little sleep. I had high expectations about the excitement of a big marathon. I'm used to running marathons that have 200-1,000 people, total. The MCM reportedly has about 30,000 runners, though this year I saw that the bib numbers went up to 45,000. Presumably not everyone who registers runs. Last year I had very specific running goals that were not realized. The start-time was messed up by the introduction of metal detectors that were understaffed. When the gun went off about one-third to one-half of the runners were still in the security line. It was one of my worst races in a very long time. This year, after consulting with my running coach, I decided to just have a good time, not worry about pacing too much, and just be ready for whatever happens. And, that's pretty much what happened.

My sister came out to support me in the run. She and her friend, Ilana, who lives in Washington, did a fantastic job of supporting me on the course. They met me at miles 9, 15, and 18 to give me Gatorades and Gu's and then I was on my way. It was so much fun to see them.

Before the race.

At mile 9, right at the base of the Lincoln Monument. 
The music was wonderful throughout the race. I love music on the marathon course. It can be live or recorded. It can be any style - rock, classical, blues, folk, and even polka. Indeed, there were two accordion players on the marathon course, both playing polka music. I loved them! There were scaled down military bands playing and about five different high school pep or concert bands performing. I got such an energy charge when I saw them.

Alas, my good energy did not last through the marathon, though. I started to fade around mile 18. I tried to keep my pace down until I got to mile 20, because I thought I might pick up the pace after that, but it was not meant to be. We were running on highways (yes, they shut down the highways), then we did a lap around a huge parking lot at the Pentagon... There were no crowds and it got a little lonely out there. Yes, even with thousands of other runners it got a little lonely. The people we did pass said encouraging things, but they were all lies. I didn't look good, I looked like sh** and knew it. But, I also knew that the marathon would eventually end. I just needed to hang in there. And, end it did. Afterward, my sister and I took the Metro to Union Station and then I was even up for the mile walk back to our apartment. Modest movement after a marathon is always good. Usually when I finish a marathon I'm eager to do another immediately since I'm already trained. This time? Not so much. I'm good for now.

Marathon #12 in the books. 
But, there was so much to see on the marathon course! I already mentioned the bands, which I didn't remember from last year... There were so many different signs that I saw, including:

  • You run better than the government!
  • If Donald Trump can run, so can you!
  • Your pace or mine?
  • Those marathon shorts make your butt look great!
  • All of this for a free banana? (You get bananas when you end.)
  • All of this for a free beer? (You get a free beer when you end.)
  • If you were running 100 miles, you wouldn't even be a 1/4 finished! (at mile 12)
  • I'll just say it for you: What the f---?
  • Go random stranger, go! (I must have seen 30 of these today!)
  • I don't know you, but I'm proud of you!
Plus, there was some potty humor and some sexual innuendos that I will leave off of my blog. 

There was a Michael Jackson impersonator, complete with the white, sequin glove and people running in Halloween costumes. I give a lot of credit to anyone who can run 26.2 miles in a Halloween costume. 

I also saw people having emergencies on the course. I saw a man vomiting before the marathon even started. He must have been sick and was trying to do the race anyway. When you train for months, it's hard to let go of the marathon dream! I also saw two other people vomiting on the course. I will add that I remain vomit-free on the marathon course. Thank goodness. A man was having a medical emergency and had to be hooked up to an IV and then transported out during the marathon in a golf cart-like vehicle but with a truck bed on it. 

As I have blogged about before, there's so much goodness on the marathon course - people looking for family members, runners working hard to meet goals, total strangers cheering you on, people all around you who would have your back in a second if you fell over, and people checking in on each other. 

I'm not sure when or where marathon #13 will occur, but I'm 110% it is happening. Time to get out the foam roller to work on those tired muscles.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?