John Cage on Congressional Recesses

Congress is now on recess until after the November elections. That's five weeks. The Senate went on recess before the House. In my office, I was given instructions on how this impacted operations in-house. The dress is more casual, there are fewer demands on productivity, there will be fewer meetings, fewer encounters with constituents and interested parties, and in general, things are just more low-key.

One of the challenges of blogging is that sometimes some of the most interesting parts of life -- professional life, family, friends, and whatnot -- may provide the best material for commentary, but it's not really appropriate for pubic consumption. Since arriving in Washington, we have been schooled about the importance of exercising discretion. I've been wanting to blog about the culture of being on "The Hill," but the presumed Congressional "code of ethics" doesn't really permit me to do so.

I've been trying to find a way to get around this, but in truth, it's too risky. Yet, I think that I may have found the perfect vehicle for expressing exactly what I am permitted to say, John Cage's piece, 4'33". If you don't know about it, take a listen here.

Congressional fellow out.

Comments

  1. Laura Perkins = mamaOctober 4, 2016 at 12:27 AM

    Some days, we just have to make our own music.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?