What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?

That's right. I have at least two stress fractures that won't heal. I've had one for about 15 weeks and a second for at least 18 months. When a fractured bone won't heal, it's called a non-union fracture. I get quite a kick out of this. Makes me think of my bones slaving away in a sweatshop or something!

What do we do to try to get non-union bones to heal? First, health providers put you in a surgical boot. Say good-bye to the surgical shoe. It's all about the boot now. My boot looks just like this one. I don't really want to know how long I have to wear it. Despite it being clunky and a miserable fashion statement, it is much better than the surgical shoe -- in terms of walking. It also seems nearly impossible to re-injure oneself in this contraption! Driving a standard is definitely a no-no.

Photo from Ortho Tape
Second, we get a bone stimulator. I know, who knew there was such a thing? Apparently before the days of bone stimulation, there was surgery, surgery, and more surgery. Thus, I am very glad for the bone stimulator. The one that I use sends ultrasound waves to the bones at the exact location of the fracture, to encourage new cells to form and to close the fracture. Just 20 minutes a day. Bone stimulators are apparently very popular among runners. A whole new world opens up when one gets injured! 

Here I am; all hooked up and ready to go!
When one has a stress fracture that won't heal, one also spends a lot of time doing non-weight-bearing exercises. But, that was already the subject of a previous post. I know that my readers are waiting with baited breath to learn what happens next, but in truth, it's all about wait and see. I'm just as eager to learn as everyone else. This Thursday makes 15 weeks without running. But, whose counting, right? In case anyone is wondering: this is what's going on here at the Powwow.

Comments

  1. Thank dog for the bone stimulator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going on 5 months with a stress fracture that won't heal. I am a runner, as well, and it is frustrating! Never heard of the bone stimulator - checking into that. Thank you for this very helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. It's a long wait. I know! I re-learned how to swim during this time. It was and still is, very helpful.

      Delete
  3. So do you runners stay in the boot all day? I'm just wondering if a non-union (stress) fracture can still heal itself without boot (maybe just surgical shoe) if you don't run or do any sports, just regular walking & standing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly not a medical expert, but based on what I have read and the health care providers that I have seen....the answer is yes to being in the boot all day. I stayed in the boot for 6 straight weeks, from the minute I got out of bed. Only had it off when I was showering. I think that it helps to facilitate the healing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out