Goodness on the Marathon Course

I ran my 10th marathon (or marathon-plus) run this past weekend. There are so many good things that happen on the course that only the runners get to see.

One of my favorite things that happens in marathons is the goodwill that is exhibited by spectators. It is present in every race, but it's message and form is always a little different. If you Google "marathon signs" and hit images you'll see all kinds of funny and inspiring signs that spectators make for marathoners. Here are some of the messages I saw this past weekend. The last one is my favorite.

  • RUN FASTER, I SMELL CHEESE.
  • YOUR LEGS WILL FORGIVE YOU...EVENTUALLY!
  • I HAVE A HERO AND HER NAME IS ME!
  • CARPE DIEM
  • ALL IT TAKES, IS ALL YOU GOT!
Adults and children alike line up to cheer you on, slap your hand as you run by, and yell out your number, You can do it 306! Looking strong 306! You got this one! Of course, when they yell it at mile 3, I'm usually thinking...I had better be looking good at mile 3 because if not, I'm in a lot of trouble! Adults and children alike also set up fuel and hydration stations on their front lawns with card tables. They hand out water, Gatorade, orange slices, sections of bananas, pieces of bagels, gummy worms, jelly beans, and the list goes on. Not only do they hand these out to complete strangers, but they also clean up after them. Runners always throw their cups on the ground after their nourishment is complete so they can get back to racing!

There are usually a whole host of musical contributions from the supporters. This weekend 4 or 5 senior women were standing with signs, cheering the runners on, and ringing cow bells. I overheard one of them say, Isn't it funny how we're the loudest ones out here and we don't even know anyone in the race? Personally, I think that it is wonderful! During this race there was also a banjo player picking away at a street corner. In previous marathons I've come across impromptu live bands and an accordion player. There are also people who blast music from their houses, garages, automobiles, and even from smart phones. This weekend I heard Thriller and YMCA and probably a bunch other than I just cannot identify. In fact, I even saw one runner doing the arms motions for YMCA. That was good for a chuckle. The music isn't always "Top-40" in nature. One time I heard someone blasting the 1812 Overture. 

If my readers are ever standing on the sidelines waiting for a runner to come along, make his or her way to the chute, or cross the finish line, please, please, please, cheer, CHEER, CHEER! It is so helpful to pass the time, is a good distraction, and can really give a runner that needed boost!

I also love what I see from the runners. When someone is limping along, holding his or her side, bent over in pain, or even just stretching a hamstring, runners will yell out, Are you OK? Do you need help? I was standing on a rock trying to get in a good calf stretch when someone yelled over to me, Are you OK? I confirmed that I was just engaging in some preventive stretching...no need to worry. 

It can be grueling out there on the course. It can be long and lonely and even scary at times. But, there is also so much goodness to be found on the course and it's mostly the runners who get the pleasure of knowing and seeing it. Just another pay-off for all of that hard work that comes before (and during) the marathon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?