The View from the Trunk

Let's face it, I'm a front row, dead center, hand-in-the-air, kinda gal. I'm a willing leader, either because of my natural tendencies or because of professional and life experiences. Some could say that I'm a natural steam-roller, too, because I sometimes think that everyone is on board with my, yes--my, ideas. How could they not be?! I have to remind myself to stop and assess and reassess. Let's just say that I'm comfortable in the driver seat.

I'm most definitely not in the driver seat here in Washington. I'm barely in the passenger seat. In fact, I think I might be in the trunk.

The MSW program in which I teach at Bridgewater State University uses a cohort model. Students get to know each other very quickly. They make close friends, exchange cell phone numbers, and brace themselves for their coming graduate studies. When I get to class, students volunteer, "Did Becky reach you? She had to do a removal of a child today and is going to be late." or "Juan is stuck in traffic; he'll be here soon." I'm always so impressed with how much they lean on each other, so early in their graduate studies.

When I was walking to the second week of my Congressional fellowship training I started to get text messages from members of my cohort: "My bus is running late; will you save me a seat at our table?" Of course! "I'm having to take a call from my university administration - pls. save me a seat!" Sure! At some point, I thought, Oh, I've become my students...

Today was my first day in my new position. I did what everyone does on day 1 of a new job. I got a new ID, computer, email address, phone number, orientation to the building, attended some meetings, signed paperwork, and so on.

Here's the top of the phone on my new desk. 
My new ID. Note that I wore my mandatory dark suit for the picture. 
My supervisor gave me a sense of some new projects that I might tackle. When she said, "I think that something that might be good for you to get started on is..." I thought, Damn - that's what I say to my research assistants when I bring them on board! She's me...and I'm my students right now! Man, is it ever dark in this trunk...

But, as I have said before, I'm in this for the ride, eyes wide open. Speaking of which, I did take an actual ride today. There is an underground train that connects the Senate and House buildings to the Capitol. One could walk outside or inside...or for quicker access, one could take these little trains. There are a few instances when paperwork has to be hand-delivered to the Capitol. My supervisor came and grabbed me 30 minutes before I had to leave for wind ensemble rehearsal at Catholic University and asked if I wanted to go to the Capitol. Sure!

I took this little train today. (Not my picture.)
Speaking of underground systems...there is a tunnel that connects that the Senate office buildings (and others, as I understand it, but my view from the trunk is really limited). There are restaurants in this area and this is where I grabbed lunch today, as well.

Tunnel between Senate buildings (not my picture).
That's my view from the trunk. At some point I'm sure that I'll be allowed to sit in the backseat. Come to think of it, I wonder if we opened the trunk, if it might be mistaken for a front row of its own...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?