Everything is New

So, I've been here in Washington for eight days and I have attended three days of training. Let me tell you, everything is new! At least everyone around me in the sessions speaks English and I am surrounded by fellow PhDs, but everything is definitely new!


I have a new schedule. For the past zillion years, I have had the life of an academic. My schedule is largely my own. I work until 10:30pm-12:30am, sleep 6-7 hours, and then get up and repeat. Now? I'm in bed by 10:15pm and up at 5:15am to workout before leaving for training at 7:30am.

Leaving for my first day of training on what was called "Day 0."
I've never had a treadmill. I always run outside or at the gym. But, here in Washington I was worried about running outside or getting to a gym when it was still dark out. And, sure enough, around 5:45am-6:00am, when I am ready to get on a treadmill, it's very dark outside. So, I have a treadmill here in my studio apartment. I run at the apartment or strength-train with a new set of weights.

The way that I get to work is new. Instead of driving 90 minutes each way between Amesbury and Bridgewater, I walk about 15 minutes, then take the Metro 20-25 minutes, and then walk another 10 minutes. Further, Washington has traffic control monitors, like the hallway monitors that are sometimes in schools. They direct traffic at busy intersections, tell cars and people when to move and when to stay, and they have a very loud whistle!

I'm used to being busy. Very busy. Sometimes I am insanely busy because let's be clear, I don't really like to be idle. I have days when I am scheduled back-to-back for close to 12 hours, but those days come and go and then I am back to piecing together my own schedule. Doctor's appointment on a Wednesday morning? As long as I'm not teaching - no problem. Coffee with a colleague on a Monday afternoon? No worries. Now? I'm in a hotel conference room with 160 other PhDs from 8:30am-5:00pm. We do not leave the hotel. We run to the bathroom during break. All lunches are working lunches. Listen; network; make new connections; learn new skills. And, when you're done, there's happy hour if you haven't had your fill yet. Yes, today I went to happy hour. So, there. 

Here we all are - surviving the AAAS boot-camp for new fellows!

Have you ever seen a college professor? Have you seen the variety of things that college professors wear? I have a set of professional clothing. I wear heels. I've never been to work in jeans and it wasn't until year 9 at my university that I felt comfortable enough to wear khakis to a Friday "all college meeting" with our dean. So, I'm not a slacker in the clothing department. But, here? We've been given a dress code. Day 0 was "business casual." Days 1-13 are "business." The Saturday picnic? "Casual." In fact, they showed us a picture of what "everyone" in Washington wears...a dark suit. I don't have a dark suit, so I will be shopping this weekend...


With the exception of the year that I lived in Cleveland in 1991-1992 and the years that I lived in Worcester in 1992-1994, I have always lived in an old New England mill town on the mouth of a major river, within 5-10ish miles of the ocean. The towns I have lived in have been similar in size, economics, and personality. Now? I'm living in a city. I walk to work and then get on a train that goes under the streets of said city. There are people everywhere. There are buildings everywhere. The idea of hopping in the car to run to the grocery store to pick up some eggs seems like a major production. So unusual.

It's hot at home sometimes. It's humid at home sometimes. Here? It's both almost all of the time. When I arrive at my destinations, I am soaking wet. And, so is my business attire. So, I sit down in the hotel ballroom with 159 other people and wait to dry out. How the men are surviving in a suit and tie, I do not know.


Back at home, I spend my time prepping classes, going to faculty meetings, meeting with students, teaching students, grading papers, conducting data analysis, and writing my own papers. Here? I'm getting the training that others think that we need. Some of this leaves me scratching my head, but you know what? I'm here and someone thinks that I need this, so I'm open, I'm game! So far, this has included:

  • Networking, including how to shake hands, where to place one's name tag, how to enter and exit social situations gracefully, how to hold a drink at a networking event, how to exchange business cards, and about an hour just on the proper etiquette for formal dining
  • Introduction to the founding of the American government - not the version that you get in elementary school, either
  • The difference between science policy and science for policy... (It's what you would imagine: science policy focuses on laws that help to facilitate the use and development of new science and scientific knowledge vs. using scientific findings to create new policy)
  • Social programs/interventions that are effective - the heart of evidence-based policies
  • Brainstorming around briefing policy-makers
How to send a proper follow-up email...

On top of this, I have lived with Neil for more than two decades and he's not here! Neither is Drake. I'm in a studio apartment with furniture that is not my own. Although I am playing in a university wind ensemble, that, too, is new. Driving there, finding my way to the rehearsal hall, new conductor style, and all new faces. 

So, in case I haven't said it, everything is new! So far, I'm along for the ride, because it's also very interesting!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?