"Oh No, You Don't Understand..."

I've already blogged about how new everything is here in Washington: sleep schedule, exercise location, transportation, work, shopping, living arrangements, and more.

I'm in the middle of a two week training which is turning out to be a mini boot camp, where no one leaves the hotel ballroom for 8-9 hours other than to use the bathroom or to go through the buffet line before returning to our seats for a "working lunch." That's all 160 of us in the ballroom together, presented with speaker after speaker to get us ready for our year ahead. Yesterday I saw a man who started to doodle right around 4:00pm. On a Friday afternoon. In his mandatory dark business suit. Others were texting from time to time. I refrained from checking Facebook, but I texted my new colleague, three seats away from me, about whether she was going to attend happy hour. In case you're wondering, we both attended happy hour. I got a Diet Coke and she got a water with lemon. Clearly, I have found "my person" here in Washington.

The best parts of our training are when we get exposed to current or recent Congressional fellows. They give phenomenal advice and tell stories about what it's like to work on Capitol Hill. I'm learning so much and so any fun things, too. For example, when one works for a senator or congressperson, one never mentions that person's name in public. Instead, that representative is referred to as "The Boss." To say otherwise would be offensive, unrefined, and lacking in sound judgment.

We've been hearing stories about what it's like to brief a senator before a meeting, to spend time on the floor of the Senate or House, to make regular appearances on C-SPAN, to have to put together talking points for a congressperson on an unknown issue in a matter of one hour, and so much more.

When I hear these stories, my usual defense pops right up and I hear myself saying, "Oh no, you don't understand... I'm not going to be doing that. That will happen to someone else." Then remind myself that all of the Congressional fellows have done something like this at some point. "So, I guess I will be doing that, or this, or that thing over there, too..."

I keep hearing everyone say that being a Congressional fellow is "life changing." Okay, so it's life changing. I'm going to be changed. If only I knew what that actually meant. But, as I said in my previous post, I'm here for the ride and I'm getting used to having no idea what shape my life will take over the next year.

But, for now, I need to spend the rest of the day resuming portions of my usual life, by editing a paper for colleagues and meeting a self-imposed deadline, until the Washington Magic commences again on Tuesday.

Onward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?