Leigh Was Right

Yes, another blog post about running. 

I've been in an injury rut for a long time now. Or, a partial injury rut. In the late summers or early falls of 2011, 2012, and 2013 I sustained major running injuries in the same location. These injuries were severe enough that they kept me away from running for as little as 5 weeks in one case and as long as 4.5 months in another.

My problems have focused on my left foot: stress fractures in the metatarsals (about which I have blogged numerous times, here, here, and here for starters) and then some nerve-related problems. As a result, I've been told to cross train, work on my core, and strength-train.

So, in late winter 2013, I started swimming, which I have been doing 1-2 times a week for close to a year-and-a-half. Same with strength-training -- 2-3 times a week, and working on my core -- 3-4 times a week. This is in addition to my regular runs or workouts if I am on a hiatus from running. I was told many, many times by professionals and websites, that this would cure my running woes, as I have a rather lengthy history of running injuries.

I'm a woman who loves a plan. I love setting goals, planning and implementing a schedule, and achieving those goals. I love directions and instructions from professionals on exactly what I should do. I'm a rule follower (well, with the exception of marrying Neil). But, did all of this change bring about relief?

No--not in any noticeable way. Instead, my running coach, Leigh, and others, strongly recommended that I stay away from distance running for a while. This is when I like rules a bit less, but indeed, I am a rule follower, so, I shall not run long distances. But, I will pine away for my distance runs. I have not done a long run since October...that's 7 months in case anyone is interested. Instead, I have been doing shorter runs and keeping up with my swimming, core work, and strength-training.

But, my foot problems have persisted. Off and on since spring 2013, I have had a dull, persistent ache in my left foot. Sometimes it's on the side, sometimes on ball of my foot, sometimes in my arch, sometimes along the first metatarsal. I have been to physical therapy and have been the subject of much poking, prodding, zapping, and icing. I had some relief, but still, the dull ache has persisted. It's there when I'm running, walking, or sitting. I have been patient. I have waited nicely. A "bigwig" doctor in Boston said that I have neuropathy - a condition about which I have blogged before; he gave me a prescription for medication and sent me home with permission to run. But, it got worse after my fall marathon. That's when the no distance order came in from my physical therapists and running coach, Leigh. "You start adding miles onto a foot that is already having problems on 3 mile runs and you're just asking for trouble."

Trouble, with a capital T. I know what that's like. That means stationary bikes, endless laps in the pool, and even worse...a surgical shoe or boot. Oy. I can't go down that path again. I will be patient. I will be good. I will listen to Leigh.

She decided that my larger muscle groups were probably not developed enough, which meant that muscles in my calf were working overtime. This make them stiff and cranky, and as a result, they were putting pressure on, or pinching a nerve. She hypothesized that if I developed those larger muscles (glutes, quads, back, etc.) that my left foot would get better. She sent me a video for new strength-training exercises and a commitment from me to do them 3 times a week and to keep my runs to 3-4 miles only, at an easy pace; no long or hard runs. Fine.

I am a rule follower and I attacked this plan like a hungry wolf. I love taking on new physical exercises, but I confess that I was somewhat skeptical. Maybe it would work. But, all of my other changes had not worked. How many times had I changed things based on advice from others? Still, I let the medicine that I got for neuropathy sit unopened and I followed Leigh's advice - doing knee bends, bridges, squats, and balancing myself on one foot. I could start to physically see the difference in my physique, but my left foot was still cranky: mildly sore, sometimes a shooting pain, and often hot and swollen--my left shoe always feeling tight. I did this for 4 weeks and then she modified some of my routine to make it more challenging, yet again. I followed, sweating it out 3 times a week, panting and gasping in the beginning. I recorded everything I did on a shared calendar so that Leigh could see my activities. I also rated how my foot felt on those measly 3-4 mile runs and how it felt for the rest of the day. And, I took video footage of myself and sent it to Leigh to make sure that I was following her instructions correctly.

About 3 weeks ago things started to look up. I had some symptom-free runs, followed by symptom-free days. I would go nearly all day long without a single problem. Then a day "here or there" turned into days in a row, then close to a whole week.

Last week Leigh thought that I was doing well enough to try adding some "run drills" into my life, so that I can use my newly developed larger muscle groups to work on my running form. I nearly jumped through the phone. In fact, when her text message came through, I was driving and I pulled over to write her a reply that started with "I could kiss you!"

Leigh knew. She knew even though she was in Texas and I'm in Massachusetts. It's sort of like when I'm practicing the oboe upstairs and Neil yells up, "You need more reed in your mouth!" He just knows even though he can't see me. And, Leigh just knew that if I followed her plan, my foot discomfort would go away.

If I keep this up, I'll be having symptom-free running and playing high E's like they're nothing at all. After all, I'm a woman with a plan - it may not be my plan, but I'm more than happy to follow it!


Athletes Treating Athletes is the name of Leigh's business. 



Comments

  1. What a great job you've done being patient, researching, exploring and following your team's advice. And how fabulous that you're rewarded with progress. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Emily!! Your 'stick to the plan' attitude is truly inspiring! And Leigh is clearly an amazing coach! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?