Permission Granted

Disclaimer: I write this post not to reveal personal medical information, but rather to present information in case it is helpful to other runners. 

Anyone who has been following my blog or following me on Facebook knows that I have been battling a 6-month running injury. It probably was a stress fracture at first, but something else has been going on more recently and on Friday I received a diagnosis: neuropathy, which is an inflammation of the nerves. For me, this presents as a very minor dull ache in the forefront of the foot, right below the toes, which is sometimes followed by a burning sensation after exercise or wearing heels. I actually have these symptoms in both feet. So, I will be treated with medication and carry on. 

The good news? I've been given permission to run again. I did have to assure everyone in my life that I would not start with a 13 mile run, even though I might want to do so. Instead, I've been good...start with 3 and 4 mile runs. 

All of this got me thinking about my wonderful experiences as an amateur runner. Here are some of my favorite running pictures. 

BSU Family Weekend 5k in  fall 2008

Mt. Desert Island Marathon, fall 2009

Plaistow Old Home Days, summer 2010

Pat Poletta 5k, Salisbury, MA, 2011

Smuttynose Marathon, Hampton, NH, fall 2012

Yankee Homecoming 10 mi,  Newburyport, MA, summer  2009
Looking forward to many more, starting with a the Mighty Merrimack River 5k in Amesbury on June 8. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?