Runner's High

Yes, another blog post about running. And, yes, I have a runner's high, even though I crossed the finish line about nine hours ago.

Unlike my high school classmate-turned marathoner, Steve Howe, I am not a fast runner. I'm not a fast anything. But, I am getting faster...at least I'm moving in the right direction, even if I can't seem to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Nevertheless, today, I officially felt fast. I might have even been burly, but I had better not get ahead of myself. (See a previous blog post for more info on that saga.)

Today I ran The Classic Hangover 10k (which is 6.2 miles), in Salisbury Beach, MA. I only decided yesterday to run. In fact, I had to pay an extra $10 on my registration fee because I was so late in making the commitment. I may have run ten marathons in the past six years, but I have not run a 10k race since 2006. I did do a "test" 10k last September when I was training for a marathon. It can really throw someone off to change a race distance. 5k's are all about speed and gasping for air. Marathons are all about putting in the time, being patient, and gritting your teeth when desperation sets in. Totally different animals. The 10k is a bit in between. The runner is going for a fast time, but an average runner can expect to spend about an hour on the course. So, you have to be shooting for fast, but also pacing yourself.

There are a lot of strategies about how to run races. When to "prime" and not to prime before a race, when to hold back, when to watch the clock, and when to just throw yourself into the race and never look back. Leigh, who coached me through my last marathon, has her own strategies, which are now my strategies, too. Like most coaches, Leigh would vary my running times between and during workouts. The paces that she selected for me were based a 5k I ran last summer and my previous marathons times. Using these times, she calculated my "VDOT numbers." VDOT stands for V-dot-O2-max (according to Runner's World) and is the amount of oxygen one consumes in one minute of running. She gave me my VDOT paces for easy runs, 5k, 10k (threshold run), marathon, etc. These VDOT paces are used as a guideline for how fast one could run any particular distance. But, the world of running experts rarely recommend that one runs at a steady pace for an entire race. Instead, the recommendation is to to use the VDOT estimates to select a starting pace, to hold it there until a crucial time in a race, and then to let loose. If you have ever watched seriously competitive runners, you have likely noticed that the race takes place in the last part of a course. In marathons, the elite runners maintain a fast, but steady pace together and the real race does not usually begin until mile 20 or so, which is when all hell breaks loose.

During my "test" 10k last September I was instructed to run the first half (3.1 miles) at an 8:30 pace, which is on the quicker side for me. Like I said, I don't have wings beneath my feet. Then I was instructed to stop looking at my watch and just race it - as fast as I could. I almost died during that test run and I did well, coming in at 51:39. Today I employed a similar regime.

It was freezing, freezing, freezing at Salisbury Beach today. I can't believe that some people jumped into the ocean after finishing their race -- sounds like a good way to have a heart attack, but I digress. I did a warm-up run and even some priming to get myself ready to start at a fast clip and settle right in to an 8:30 pace. After we started, I kept looking at my watch.
- 8:12
- 8:19
- 8:13
I kept trying to get myself to calm down. But, it was so much fun and it was easy, too - always a delightful discovery. But, still, I tried to reign it in. Early in my running career I learned not to burn myself up in the beginning.


Here I am around mile 1.5 in downtown Salisbury Beach, trying not to burn myself up from enthusiasm and optimism.
Still, every time I looked at my watch, I was running too fast. One time I looked at my watch and it read 7:45. "Okay, Emily. That's enough of that. Settle down; you're going to burn up and never meet your goal." So, I settled down. But, my pace was still faster than my goal. I compromised with myself (how do you like that?!) and decided to keep it between 8:20-8:30. I was also worrying that I wouldn't be ready to flat out run at the half-way mark. So, I put it off until mile 4.20 - with just two miles left to go. I bumped myself up to 8:15. I was beginning to be hopeful. I thought there was a good chance I might set a new PR (personal record). I kept wondering, "How long can I keep this up?" When I saw mile marker 5 and I was still feeling good, I think I let out a few curse words in joy! I booked it and used the advice I once heard that Joan Benoit Samuelson gives: "Stop looking at your time and just start passing people." Granted, I am no Joan Benoit Samuelson, but at least today I set a new PR. All that strength training and those core workouts seem to be paying off. It's a sad fact that runners hate: runners should do more than run. The truth hurts, but apparently brings great rewards, too.

Happy New Year, everyone!


After the race. Burly enough yet?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?