Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

I am remembering Murray this week, three years after his DOD. I think that I will always associate the end of an academic year with the time that we lost Murray. We knew that he was suffering and that he didn't have much time left. I was grading late into the night, feeling the pressure of what I call "the season of extremes" in academia. I had gotten little sleep when I heard from Murray's assistant: a text alert on my phone and then a phone call to let me know that Murray had passed away.

I'm not able to visit his grave to mark the anniversary this year, instead I'm in the Caribbean. Murray would approve. He loved travel. I have my computer so that I can put out some fires at work and maybe submit that paper that I have in queue. Yes, Murray would approve of this, too.

So, this week, I am holding close some of my favorite memories of Murray...

  • Sitting with him at the long table in his office, hearing him talk about work and life
  • Watching his enthusiasm for anyone who visited his office, arms raised, maybe even a modest clap in the air, to express his excitement for that person's arrival
  • The year-round sandals -- even in the snow
  • His greeting when answering his office phone: "Straus speaking..." 
  • His endless interest in and devotion to dyadic concordance types
  • His careful and consistent guidance about how to end a research paper and how to guide readers in how to read a table - two things I remember, always, when I write a scientific paper
  • His sincere modesty and almost surprise when he met a new fan
  • Ramen noodles...need I say more?
  • His boyish enthusiasm for new research projects and ideas 
  • Lost files on his computer, almost every day 
  • His endless generosity with nearly everyone - students, postdocs, colleagues - everyone got his time and attention
  • His collaborative spirit
  • His willingness to admit mistakes
  • His  eagerness to learn - new theories, statistical approaches, technology, and more
Dear, sweet, Murray... You are missed and remembered daily. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?