Proximity is Everything in Washington

One of the things that has interested me most about being in Washington and working for Congress is that proximity really matters. Even in the world of technology and alternative forms of communication, people want to sit down, face-to-face, to discuss matters that are important -- and to try to convince staffers why it should matter to them as well. I have been surprised at how far people will travel to convey their messages to Congressional staffers in a room that is no bigger than 5x5 feet.

The layout of Capitol Hill just reinforces this propensity. I am still astonished, daily, at how close together everything is in Washington. Look at the map below. In the center outlined in pink is the Capitol building. Below that in purple, are three House office buildings, (the map is only showing one, but there are three), where all of the Congresspersons have offices. Above, outlined in orange there are three Senate office buildings. Finally, on the right, in blue, is the Supreme Court. Walking around in this area I am amazed that the greatest power in the world is centralized in this one small area.


I think that this proximity sends a message to people who want to play a role in politics and political decisions: Move in and get close. And, close everyone is! 

I have been working on some child welfare issues and I had emailed key people at some professional associations. My identified mentor in my office encouraged me to talk or meet with them. I thought, "I wonder where they are located...?" I looked up their address: Washington. I Googled the distance from my office to their office: mere blocks. It has happened time and time again, so that now I pay attention to all of the offices around Capitol Hill. Who is the closest? Why are they the closest? What is their agenda? What do they gain by being four blocks closer to the Capitol where rent is likely to be astronomically high? 

What is even more astonishing to this academic-temporarily-turned-Congressional-staffer, is that people come to me. As a college professor, I might have emailed the director of public policy/government relations for a professional association and hoped that this person would have replied to my email. Now? I send an email explaining who I am, where I work, and my reason for contacting them. I can't even get myself to request that they come to my office to meet with me. I write vague things like, "It would be wonderful to get together for a meeting. If you're near the hill in the next week, maybe we could meet?" The reply? "Sure. I'll come to your office. What day works for you?" 

Ahhhh... So, this is how it works...

Now I understand why people say that you will make professional contacts in Washington like you will make no where else in the world. That's because everyone is here. And, those people who are here actually do seem to have more access and presumably better influence over legislation that is filed and passed. 

So, to hell with email and social media and even telephones, from what I can tell. Proximity is what matters in Washington. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?