Have I Done This Before?

Yes and no.

I started running 9 years ago, as part of a weight-loss strategy -- like so many other people. The weight has come and gone multiple times over the last 9 years, but the running stuck. Like so many others, I found running and physical activity absolutely addictive. I went from running 3 miles to training for a half marathon almost over night...and then marathons and I even did a 50k (31 miles) once. In all, I have run 9 marathons (or plus); I tend to run 3 or 4 races a year: 5ks to marathons. But, like many amateur runners, I have suffered running injuries here and there. Last winter when I was recovering from a stress fracture, my wonderful physical therapist, Bob, at Pinnacle Physical Therapy, said to me: You need to fire yourself and hire a coach, because you have too many training errors.


So, I did. My former physical therapist at Pinnacle, Leigh, moved to Texas and set up an online coaching business. A cyclist, runner, and swimmer who does full-length Ironman races, she started an especially helpful website, Athletes Treating Athletes. It features a body map which leads to informational sites and instructional videos about how to do self-massage and self-treatment for amateur athletes like myself. All of that information is free for anyone who has an Internet browser and an Internet connection. I have also hired her to coach me through my upcoming fall marathon, Smuttynose Rockfest, in Hampton Beach, NH. She used my past race times to develop a training plan that is specific to me, with daily workouts. She also answers my questions via email or cell phone several times a week. Much of it is new or is a variation on things that I have read, tried, and at one point discarded. What's been very interesting to me is the lower-level intensity on a day-by-day basis, saving myself for a weekly long run, as well as a weekly "hard" run. 


Bob was right, I do need a coach. I already emailed Leigh and said that I didn't feel that my "regular" runs were long enough and could I just add a 1 mile here or there...please? Her answer? No. This alone is progress, because we all know what I would have said!



Here I am at home, working on my total-body strength training. I'm following one of Leigh's videos as Drake watches on. He sneaks in a lick or two when he can, of course. 

So, to answer my initial question...Have I trained for a marathon before? YES. Have I ever done it like this, with real information to guide me? Well...NO! I'm looking forward to seeing what how all of this will shake out in Hampton Beach in October.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?