Thermometers

I love thermometers. In truth, I am interested in many thing weather-related. As a social scientist, I know that many things are related to our experiences in childhood. So, I'll go with that on this one, too. My mother has always loved to watch the weather, especially on WCSH6, and especially if Joe Cupo was forecasting. My sister and I tease our mother that family dinner needed to be over in time to watch Joe giving the forecast - which was at approximately 6:17pm. I also love a good weather map, especially if a snowstorm is coming and the map predicts projected snowfall totals. But, that is the subject for another blog post, really.

Back to thermometers. We have many thermometers around our house. I'm not sure why we need so many, but take it from me - we just do. I'd like to know the temperature in all rooms of our house, in addition to our enclosed front and back porches, as well as the temperature outside. In truth, we don't have enough to cover all of these locations. I'm working on that. Here is what we have thus far.

I got this first one on eBay for Neil. The description reads that it is a Mint Vintage 1940s Tel Tru Cub Suction Cup Thermometer, intended for a car. Neil has it on the window in front of "his" chair facing the river. 
   
This is a thermometer that Neil has had for ages. For a long time, it served as the official thermometer for the Portland Symphony Orchestra. It's the job of the first oboe to monitor the temperature during outdoor performances in case the "temperature clause" needs to be enacted. Now it sits on Neil's dresser in our bedroom.

I love this thermometer. We got it at Lowe's. I have never mounted it as intended. It currently sits between the screen and glass of the window over our kitchen sink.

Neil has had this little brass thermometer  for as long as I can remember. It's not entirely accurate. But, it sits on our front porch, nevertheless.

My mother and step-father got us this indoor-outdoor thermometer. It sits in our dining area. I check it every morning before I take Drake outside. Wow, it's toasty in our house, wouldn't you say?

This is the thermostat and thermometer in our living room. 
This is a new addition to our house. Neil is slightly obsessed with the humidity of our home. This is somehow related to the curse of playing the oboe and one's life being dependent on oboe reeds. Ever since the Mason & Hamlin joined our family, Neil is especially concerned about the humidity. On this day, we were doing especially well. (It was also 60 degrees outside.)
Here is another way that I can obsess about the weather and temperature outside...right on my iPhone!
Our dear friends, the Rodericks, gave us a clock/thermometer that looks roughly like this picture. It hangs on our shed. This way I can monitor the time and temp when I am gardening.
I'll be looking for more interesting thermometers in the days and months to come!


Comments

  1. I just got an indoor -outdoor thermometer for Xmas. I love it! It is in the bathroom so I know which jacket to use in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?