19 Miles, 364 Days Later

I finally found a use for the Facebook timeline! I was able to look up which day last August I injured myself while on a planned 19-mile run. It was August 30, which is 364 days ago. Today, I again headed out for a 19-mile run, since I am training for the same marathon, and fought the same near-injury as last year, but in the other foot. And, I succeeded this time! I didn't have to call Neil for Aleve at mile 7 and I didn't have to call Neil at mile 9 and ask him to pick me up. Instead, I called Neil at mile 10.5 and told him that I was playing it safe. I was on Plum Island. I stopped at a convenience store for a Gatorade and asked for a cup of ice, went outside, stripped down the right foot and applied the ice - hoping to stave off any impending injury. It worked. 

Moreover, the owners of the convenience store were quite the team. A man nearing 80 rang up my purchase for Gatorade. He said, without batting an eye, "That will be $18.61." His son turned to me and said, "Don't believe anything he says. He's been drinking since Tuesday." They were good for a laugh and were very encouraging of my long run. I had also received a call from Kathy around mile 10. A reliable emailer, Kathy usually never calls me. I figured it was an emergency and called her while icing my foot. Turns out that the future service pups that we have been following on a live webcam were getting a bath and they were super cute. I was missing it because I was out on my long run! Crisis, indeed!


My 19-mile route.
 It was a beautiful day for a run - mid-70s, sunny, and the Merrimack River was splendid -bright and full. I ran from my house to Plum Island in Newbury -- 9.5 miles out and turned around and came back. I had fantastic energy and actually enjoyed myself, which doesn't always happen on the really long training runs. I even tried my first GU. My friend, Colleen -- a distance runner herself, insisted that I take one of her chocolate GUs yesterday. She said that it tastes just like chocolate frosting. Truer words were never said! Neil will never have to bring me a Snickers bar mid-marathon again! He can stay home, torture himself in the practice studio, make reeds, and fret about my safety out on the course! (Just kidding. I love having Neil at the finish line!) Thank you, Colleen!
The magic of GU - a calorie-packed snack for the trail!

How lucky am I to be able to run, to be able to run 19 miles, and to do it among such beauty? The academic year is calling, but I still have a marathon to run in 4 weeks!


Around mile 13, at Joppa Park in Newburyport.

The mighty Merrimack along Joppa Park, Newburyport.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?