"This is What Democracy Looks Like!"

Anyone who reads my blog or who knows me in person know that I am serving as a Congressional fellow this year, living and working in Washington, D.C. In my "real life," I am an academic - a profession that, when it is not killing me, I dearly love. I am also a community-level oboist who still practices giving a tuning pitch, just to make sure I've got it right before I head to rehearsal. And, of course I am many other things, too...spouse, step-mother, aunt, daughter, and so on.

But, today? Today I was a social activist.

It started with an email that I received last night that was sent to all of the current AAAS policy fellows. It contained a Facebook link to a protest today at the White House, in response to our new president's actions banning Muslims from seven different countries, from entering the United States. I opted not to attend the Women's March last weekend and I could see that I missed out. I didn't want to miss out again. So, even though I was sick, feeling run down, and very behind on my non-Congressional work, I decided to attend. After all, the Sunday afternoon writing session that I had scheduled was at-risk of not running anyway, so the afternoon was technically clear. The bottom line is that I'm incredibly lucky to have a lot of privilege and social mobility, so I had better start putting it to good use.

I walked to Union Station and waited for the Metro. When the train pulled into the station, it was packed. I wondered if this was a result of the protest. I squeezed into a car and saw that people were carrying posters. I didn't have a poster. I decided it didn't matter; my presence and my voice is what matters most. As we approached the stop closest to the White House, people on the train started to chant, "Say it loud; Say it clear; Refugees are welcome here!" Yep. I was on the right train.

When I walked up to the street level, I didn't need to worry about whether I knew where I was going. The sidewalks were filled with people who were walking with purpose, carrying signs, and talking about Trump's ban on Muslims entering the country. I made my way to the edge of the crowd near Lafayette Square and hung out with people, chanting, enjoying the posters and positive energy around me. A news story captured great pictures. Here are pictures from my experience.












My sister recently told me that protests that don't involve marches can be a little wearing and boring. I stood around for about 30 minutes. I had run out of cough drops. I didn't bring any tissues. I was a little tired and thinking about the work that I had to do back at my apartment. I started to make my way across the crowd, just to see the event from a different perspective. I got over to the edge, near the White House. I felt a little dizzy and started to head out. Just as I was leaving the crowd and heading for the Metro, I heard people chanting about a march to the Capitol. I looked over and people were starting to leave the area in an organized fashion, going to the street. Why not join in? I'm headed that way anyway. So, I joined, right near the front of the pack - maybe one of the first 50 to start walking.

I never thought the police would let us march on the streets to the Capitol. We didn't have a parade permit. The event was strictly listed as a protest at the White House, not a march. But, we started marching. Here we are - right at the beginning, with the Washington Monument in front of us.


We marched liked this all of the way to the Capitol, chanting various political protests. Occasionally we had to stop as the police cleared the way at intersections. Cars honked in support for us and I only heard two men on a sidewalk say something negative.





We marched along Pennsylvania Avenue all the way to the Capitol Building.


When we got to the Trump International Hotel (and I will offer no hyperlink to that dreaded place), we stopped. The crowd booed and yelled, "Hey-hey! Ho-ho! Donald Trump has got to go!" The best reception was when we passed the Newseum, the museum that is dedicated to the news. People had gathered on a balcony on the top floor and they were cheering on the crowds. The side of the Newseum reads from the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." The crowds paused and yelled "Read this wall! Read this wall!"

I think the police didn't know what to do with us, because as we approached the Capitol, we were not permitted to continue up Constitution Avenue. Instead, we were rerouted over near Union Station. We stopped and then we started to walk through the Senate Park and then crossed Constitution Avenue. The crowed behind us was never rerouted. They continued up Constitution and onto the Capitol grounds.


Then we walked onto the Capitol grounds. I stood up on a bench so that I could get a good look at the crowds. People poured in from Constitution Avenue. More and more - they filled the entire courtyard. The police were present, but not taking any obvious efforts to tamper the activities. I presume that they know what to look for and clearly, I do not. ☺




When I moved to Washington, everyone said that being a Congressional fellow would "change my life." It has certainly given me a new perspective on almost everything related to how policy is made. I have a PhD in public policy and yet I was never taught anything that I have learned since September. But, then who thought that I'd be here at one of the most disruptive times in recent political history? No one bargained for this when they said that being a Congressional fellow would change my life. Certainly I did not.

My recent illness has left me further behind than I was a week ago and tomorrow at this time I'll be putting together my oboe in a rehearsal hall. I had best leave my social activism for the day and go practice giving a tuning note. That necessity in my life has still not changed, though I wouldn't complain if it did!

#NoBanNoWall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?