Yes, I Am Thankful, Too...Just Late

Can you believe it? I wrote this post on Thanksgiving weekend and before I knew it, Christmas was here and over. But, since I wrote it, I'd like to post it, even if it is late...and it's all still true!


--------------------------------------

It has taken me a while to get around to writing a blog post about being thankful. I am thankful. Of course, I am thankful, is my most common response. I am thankful for all the things that I should be thankful. I love and I am loved in return, by humans and my canine. I have a home, and even better, a home that I like and cherish. I am warm. I have a job and an income to cover my basic needs, and then some. I am healthy and no one in my life has a chronic or life-threatening health condition. I can go about my business without interference from law enforcement or government. This is the condensed version. The expanded version addresses the aspects of my life for which I am most thankful weekly, if not, daily.

I am most thankful for Neil. I am not supposed to write or say nice things about Neil in public settings, because it upsets him. But, I will venture to say that I cannot imagine having a partner who would love me more or provide more support for me on a daily basis. His concern, protection, attention, and belief in me goes above and beyond. I mean, the man tells people that I lift small Buicks! His southern-style humor keeps me in stitches or sends me under the table for cover. For me, marrying Neil meant marrying Dorothy as well. I am so fortunate to have a step-daughter who was eager and willing to accept another parent into her life. Blended families can be a messy place to live but I'm proud of the job that we have done together and look forward to our future.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Dorothy and me. If this doesn't show a child eager to bring a new person into her family, then I'm not sure what does; 1997
I am thankful that I grew up in a family where pursuing multiple degrees in higher education was an expectation that was handed to me, and that my professors in college supported my quest for an advanced degree. I am thankful to have the only job that I can imagine wanting. I spend my days reading, researching, thinking, teaching, writing, and creating new knowledge around the social issues in our society that concern me most. I don't always love the specifics of what I do, but I never doubt my commitment to the larger profession.


Me, with a group of graduate students in my physical/mental health policy class, spring 2013.
I am thankful that I can run. I have spent more of 2013 out of my running shoes than in them. Every day I want to do a long-distance run, but as of now, I am satisfied with running any distance. Any day I can get up and run is a good day. I am also thankful for my incredible therapeutic team at Pinnacle Physical Therapy and at Athletes Treating Athletes. They are committed to keeping amateur athletes active and engaged in what they like to do. Anytime someone asks me if I have considered giving up running, I think of one of my physical therapists who said, Running is what you love to do. Why would I want to keep you from that? Yes, why would anyone want to keep me from running? I don't know. I'm in for the long haul - set-backs and successes, alike. This one-time childhood couch potato never thought that running could be so rewarding.


The Mighty Merrimack River 5k, June 2013
I am thankful for rediscovering the oboe. In truth, I am thankful for rediscovering community band, the most. Playing the oboe in a community group has been the most surprisingly rewarding thing that I have taken on since I started running nine years ago.  I never imagined that playing in a concert band would be just like going home or filled with so much magic for me. Even when rehearsals are awful, they are still wonderful. Who knew that the community band was a place waiting for me, filled with all of the people from my childhood, just with different faces? I didn't.


Summer 2011 concert with the Seacoast Wind Ensemble
I am thankful to be surrounded by natural beauty. We are one mile from the mighty Merrimack River (that created all of those New Hampshire and northern Massachusetts cities: Manchester, Concord, Nashua, Lowell, Lawrence, and Haverhill), seven miles from the ocean, and a few hours from the White Mountains. And, on this little parcel of land, on an in-town lot of 0.18 acres, we have the little Powwow River, responsible for the former carriage town in Amesbury. Who would have thought that this little river, narrow enough for me to throw a stone to the other side, would be the source of so much pleasure? Turtles, herons, mallards, and more. It provides the perfect backdrop for our gardens and our lives.


Our wonderful Powwow River, Spring 2013
I am thankful for all of the people who let me be part of their lives. When we moved to Amesbury five years ago, I made it my personal mission to connect with people - new friends, old friends, and family. I spent most of my 20s and early 30s working on my education and parenting...and running, once I got started on that insanity. As a result I didn't nurture existing relationships very well or start many new friendships outside of work. I have been endlessly pleased with the people I have approached to either establish a new connection or to re-initiate an old one. I have found people to be warm, gracious, open, and extremely giving of themselves...especially those friends with children who allow me into their homes for really no good reason at all, short of admiring their children and parenting!


Me, with Kira, Traci (Lamarre) Lenzi's daughter, Summer 2013

Me with Becky, Sammy, and Lizzy - children of Sean and Colleen (Conners) Johnston, Fall 2013

Me with Griffin and Camden, children of Heather (Davis) and Steve Arnett, Summer 2013
I think that this blog post has gone on for far too long. So, I'll close by saying that this year, I'm thankful for the newest addition to our family - baby Spencer. My sister and her partner welcomed Spencer into the world three months ago. Our immediate family has not had a new baby in the family since I was born, a mere 40 years ago. So, welcome Spencer! I am thankful to have daily contact with my sister, to be with her through this particular journey and so glad that parenthood is an option for same sex couples today. 


Welcome, baby Spencer - the world has so much in store for you! Sept 30, 2013
Here's to many more years of being thankful!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?