This Week in the Garden - June 22

What a week it has been on the Powwow! I'm not sure what makes me ever think that our gardens are not in "full bloom" until August, because our yard was nothing but color this week. It's been the kind of week where one just sits back and enjoys the views and forgets all of the hard work that went into making the garden come to fruition. Very rewarding.

This week I made some new additions to the garden, but don't have pictures for them. We took a trip up to Maine to see Dorothy on Father's Day, where we visited the Biddeford Home Depot. I wanted to look at the 50% off rack. I found some lavender and something else which is tall and pink. I bought both and plopped them in the ground this week.

We have a new member of the Powwow Botanical Gardens and Zoo -- a groundhog. I know that we are supposed to shoo the little guy or gal away, but boy, what a cutey! This morning we found him nibbling in the rose garden on some clover. He ripped out a mouthful, scampered across the garden and jumped into the Powwow. We saw him swimming away with his mouthful of clover. I'm sure that weeks from now I will be cursing, but right now, super sweet. Everyone's got to make a living somehow, right?

Here are some pictures from our garden this week.

This is in what I have come to call, perennial garden 1. This hydrangea came from our neighbor Richard, the lilies came from Reny's and they just keep blooming summer after summer. They're getting ready to burst forth. 

The lupines, lilies, and this wonderful yellow stuff, which I think is  a type of Coreopsis, also called tick seed.

We even have some dog vomit slime mold again. 

Our roses couldn't be happier right now. Here they are on the small arbor.

Roses trailing along the side of our house.

Roses climbing the front of our house.

These are royal candles which I planted last year and they are so happy and colorful!

The wisteria is doing so well on the big arbor!

The caltalpa tree is in bloom - one of the most exciting events in our yard.

Catalpa blossoms

Here's our yard taken from an upstairs window. All .18 acres of it!

The hostas are in bloom.

The dahlias are coming up and looking strong and robust!

The wild flowers around our new patio now appear to have a poppy of some type.

My snap peas are blooming. How exciting!
I'll be traveling this upcoming week for pleasure and work and thus, won't be at home tending to our gardens. Hope to be back with another post in 2 weeks.

Comments

  1. Emily, I love gardening as well and understand how much work goes into it. You have done a beautiful job and it looks like a wonderful place to sit and relax.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Note to Murray, Four Years Out

Remembering Murray, Three Years Out

What Happens When a Stress Fracture Won't Heal?